You will already have created lots of resources and publicity around the benefits of breast milk in order to gain Unicef Breast Friendly status, which is great, and PERIPrem has the potential to push it a little further.
We are keen to support you to take a more focussed approach to helping mothers to achieve consistent milk volumes, potentially using the spheres of influence and lines of communication that you have already established for the Unicef process, and to use expressed breast milk for mouth cares from day zero.
Please use the resources below and we highly recommend taking a systematic approach like that taken by Diane Spatz and her team.
We encourage you to look across the three “capsules” of Process, Training and Education and Communications and Engagement when planning and implementing any changes, we know from experience that action needs to be taken across all three capsules to see a progress. These areas will be covered in the unit-level training.
Pay attention to how you will embed and sustain the improvements you have made and you can use the embedding and sustaining change tool to shape your thinking in doing so.
PERIPrem maternal early breast milk patient leaflet
This leaflet is to be given to the parent of every preterm baby. It is designed to help inform and fully involve parents in the care of their preterm baby by outlining in detail the benefits of maternal early breast milk as part of the PERIPrem Bundle.
The breast milk leaflet is also available in multiple languages. Please note these have not been updated since they were produced in July 2021:
- PERIPrem Breast Milk Leaflet Arabic (July 2021)
- PERIPrem Breast Milk Leaflet Bengali (July 2021)
- PERIPrem Breast Milk Leaflet Lithuanian (July 2021)
- PERIPrem Breast Milk Leaflet Polish (July 2021)
- PERIPrem Breast Milk Leaflet Portuguese (July 2021)
- PERIPrem Breast Milk Leaflet Romanian (July 2021)
- PERIPrem Breast Milk Leaflet Somali (July 2021)
- PERIPrem Breast Milk Leaflet Turkish (July 2021)
PERIPem Maternal Early Breast Milk Webinars
Please tell us a bit about yourself to download our PERIPrem resources
Links for more information
If you would like to understand more about the evidence behind this PERIPrem bundle element, the following papers, reviews and websites have more information.
- Full milk feeding from day one for preterm infants – infant journal
- NNAP (RCPCH) 2020 Audit standards, set by NNAP Project Board.
- Parker MG, Melvin P, Graham DA et al. Timing of First Milk Expression to Maximize Breastfeeding Continuation Among Mothers of Very Low-Birth-Weight Infants. Obstet Gynecol. 2019b;133(6):1208-1215