Transformation is high on the agenda for health and care communities. There are significant demands on organisations to work together to better integrate services and streamline pathways for safer, more patient-centred care, while improving efficiency and reducing costs.
Our role is to aid and support our healthcare systems and member organisations through this journey as both a champion and critical friend.
We are delivering a number of programmes as part of the national Health Innovation Network:
- Management and identification of cardiovascular disease and optimising blood pressure
- Polypharmacy: getting the balance right
- Innovation for Healthcare Inequalities Programme (InHIP)
Improving patient safety
An important focus of much of our transformation work is on improving patient safety. Most of this work is commissioned by NHS England, and we also support patient safety projects identified by our member organisations as a local priority.
Across the West of England, we coordinate a number of local projects that address priorities highlighted by our local health and care community. These include:
- Preventing surgical site infection (PreciSSIon)
- Improving NIV (non-invasive ventilation) care
- Perinatal Excellence to Reduce Injury in Premature Birth (PERIPrem)
- South West Learning Disabilities Collaborative
- Medicines optimisation
- Addressing maternal inequity through Black Maternity Matters and our Regional Perinatal Equity Network
- Providing free learning opportunities and resources for developing innovative thinking and improvement through the West of England Academy.
Former national programmes
We have supported many national programmes since 2018 as part of the Health Innovation Network. These past programmes include:
- Improving diagnosis of ADHD
- Early Intervention Eating Disorders
- Blood pressure optimisation
- Rapid Uptake Products Programme and Med Tech Funding Mandate
- Atrial Fibrillation (AF)
- Transfers of Care Around Medicine (TCAM)
- Serenity Integrated Mentoring
- Emergency Laparotomy Collaborative