As part of the Health Innovation Network, we have a leadership role to play in championing and developing diversity within our NHS innovation pipeline. We also recognise and value how diversity, inclusivity and cohesion makes our organisation stronger and more effective.
The Health Innovation Network has committed to this agenda through a series of Diversity Pledges, and every member organisation is developing an action plan setting out how we will achieve these goals.
The pledges are:
Equality diversity and inclusion (EDI) is fundamental to our core values, ensuring a positive and supportive culture, where all staff and communities feel empowered and respected.
- Set annual EDI objectives which enhance our organisation’s performance, report to our boards and
transparently publish our progress.
- Champion best practice EDI and establish processes to address challenges and opportunities.
- Embed EDI in our programmes and influence stakeholders and suppliers, ensuring EDI is embedded in implementation, procurement and commissioning decisions.
Empowering and supporting our staff to be positive role models for EDI is essential to reach our collective ambition.
- Strive to create organisations that reflect the diversity of the communities we serve at all levels.
- Encourage our staff to be active allies and positively challenge when they see discrimination, non-inclusive behaviour or a lack of diversity.
- Support our staff with ongoing EDI training and activities to foster an inclusive culture.
Our work aims to benefit all communities and reduce health inequalities, supporting Core20PLUS5 and other equality initiatives.
- Carry out Equality and Health Inequalities Impact Assessments on national and key local projects.
- Involve diverse and underserved communities and co-produce innovations that are relevant, accessible and work to reduce health inequalities.
- Promote diverse role models, challenge stereotypes and champion the positive impact of diversity on innovation in our communications.
Bristol Equality Charter
To celebrate the diversity of the region in which we live and work and ensure inclusive work programmes that have equality as a core value, we have signed the Equality Charter. Whilst this charter focuses on the city of Bristol, our organisation covers a wider footprint across the West of England and we will therefore be working to ensure these principles guide our work across the region.